Axis is on the search for a Creature Supervisor to join our VFX studio in Bristol.
The Creature Supervisor is responsible for the smooth running of the Creature pipeline. This will require maintaining existing technology, integrating third-party technology, and designing and implementing all-new, proprietary technology. This is a broad role which encompasses many departments and disciplines, including but not limited to: modeling, texturing, rigging, creature FX, (including at least fur, cloth, soft-body deformations), and animation.
The Creature Supervisor is expected to have a holistic view of the pipeline and be able to help design and maintain a smooth and efficient pipeline for creating photorealistic CG creatures.
The Creature Supervisor will work collaboratively with the Heads of many other departments. They must have a strong understanding of CG pipelines and production methods and a strong management style with excellent organizational and artistic skills. They must also be able to work with the studio teams in our Glasgow office and attend meetings regularly. Occasional travel to locations might be required. The Creature Supervisor will work closely with the CG and Animation Teams to ensure that the productions' needs are understood and met.
The Creature Supervisor should be comfortable managing teams, (including interviewing, scheduling, and mentoring artists). They are also required to develop a deep understanding of the studio pipeline, work within it, and ensure that their artists are doing the same.
In this role, you will:
- Initiate and maintain clear communication with the Assets, Rigging & CFX and Lighting teams to complete projects on time and on budget;
- Maintain the Creatures pipeline and help design the workflow for Rigging and CFX;
- Work closely with the Pipeline team, Department TDs and other Department Supervisors, on developing tools and proprietary software, to ensure shots are delivered to the very highest quality;
- Communicate with creature supervisors, leads and artists from the Glasgow studio to share ideas and ensure standards and consistency;
- Collaborate with the head of 3D and VFX Supervisors to develop long-term strategies to automate character production, solutions that are both efficient and technically sound;
- Manage all creature team members, to ensure the latest tools are being used, and the best possible quality is maintained;
- Research, develop, implement or adapt existing rigging & CFX solutions that best fits production needs with the available resources;
- Work with modeling and animation department supervisors to facilitate articulate, realistic and appealing characters;
- Help the rigging team design user interfaces and tools, to better assist the animation department;
- Work with model department supervisors to ensure geometry being simulated meets CFX needs;
- Other duties as appropriate to the role and determined by management.
To be successful in this role, you must have:
- Minimum 10-year work experience in Feature film/broadcast VFX production, with 3 or more years supervising;
- Thorough understanding of techniques, core principles and technologies relating to character rigging, creature FX and animation;
- Expert working knowledge in a production environment with Maya and Houdini;
- Solid time and project management skills - accessibility and collaboration is essential. Can manage your own time and needs of the team in order to meet project deadlines;
- Complete understanding of anatomy, structure, dynamics, and character motion;
- Good understanding of the entire visual effects process, from modeling to texturing, animation and rendering;
- Comprehensive working knowledge of hair, fur, and cloth simulation software such as Houdini fur, FEM solver, ZiVA, nCloth, nHair, Yeti, Vellum, or Marvelous Designer (or proprietary);
- Full proficiency of muscle systems;
- Thorough understanding of sculpting geometry;
- Strong problem solving and communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an emphasis on inspired leadership;
- MEL and Python programming skills required;
- Maya API C++ programming skills required;
- Linux scripting experience, especially in Bash/Python required.
Axis is committed to equal opportunities. Click here to find out more.