The Head of Look Dev & Lighting is responsible for the management, development and growth of the Lighting & Compositing Department across the Animation division (at the time of writing Glasgow and London in their full, virtual capacity) of Axis Studios.
As such they are indirectly responsible for the technical leadership and delivery of every project within the Department to budget, scope, schedule and creative expectations.
They are responsible for ensuring appropriate staffing and resourcing at a project level. They will also ensure all department Leads/Supervisors maintain and reflect Studio values, culture and best leadership practices.
Additionally, the Head of Look Dev & Lighting will promote technical and creative innovation while working with RnD and other Heads of Departments to develop the overall Department and Studio pipeline.
They will also be the first point of contact for all line management needs within the department, helping to appraise, coach and develop all department members.
The Head of Look Dev & Lighting will help to bid and break down the Master Shot and Lookdev needs on any required pitch, defining work rates and methodology required for this. They will be responsible for monitoring the final delivery of the Department ensuring technical specification and quality control standards are being met at a Departmental level.
Finally, they will be working very closely with the Head of CG, helping to ensure the Studio goals are being planned for at a Department level. They will also where necessary support the Head of CG in delivering on studio-wide initiatives in pipeline and work practice within the Department.
The Head of Look Dev & Lighting falls under the line management of the Head of CG and is a part of the Animation Division Leadership team.
This role can be performed remotely, with designated onsite studio visits at various points in the year.
- Supervising the effective delivery of all Department’s output to a high creative standard and expected technical execution.
- Assist with project bidding alongside EP and project CG Supervisor, ensuring all departmental bidding methodology is being followed.
- Monitor creative outcomes and technical solutions for efficiency and standardisation across the Department.
- Continual evaluation of CG tools, workflows and the production environment, highlighting areas for improvement and gains within the Department.
- Continual coaching on best practices regarding technical artistry and creative problem-solving across the Department.
- Lead any initial HR issues within the Department and help to monitor any HR issues across the Department.
- Recruitment, training and departmental strategic planning for the Lighting & Compositing Department.
- The broadcasting and education of Studio values, culture and leadership practices to all under their line management.
- On behalf of the Studio/Department liaise where necessary with any Clients and 3rd party Outsource Contractors.
- Great communication skills and ability to work constructively with other departments to solve production and technical challenges.
- The ability to confidently Supervise and Manage a team of artists.
- Proven production experience Leading teams min 5 years.
- Strong understanding of rendering(Arnold and Mantra preferred).
- Strong understanding of Lighting, Look Development and Comp.
- Understanding of Physically Plausible Shading models.
- Practical experience in live-action cinematography and photography.
- Thorough knowledge of SideFX Houdini workflow.
- An understanding of DMP workflow.
- Knowledge of Python, C++, VEX is desirable.
An effective Head of Look Dev & Lighting will be
- Compassionate and supportive, with the desire to coach others toward their potential.
- Clear, decisive and calm under pressure.
- Creatively astute.
- Thinking ahead, not just reacting to the events of the day.
- Able to distinguish ‘urgent’ from ‘important’.
- Constantly seeking personal and professional improvement.
Axis is committed to equal opportunities. Click here to find out more.