Axis Studios are looking to hire a talented Head of Rigging to join us in our flagship Glasgow studio.
Working at Axis Studios, you will have the opportunity to be part of a number of IP's across both photoreal and very stylised projects. If you have a broad range of experience and enjoy working across a variety of projects - this role is for you!
Reporting to our Head of CG, the Head of Rigging is responsible for managing the team & quality of output across Axis Studios. There will be some travel between the studios for certain project needs and training however this role would be predominantly Glasgow based.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right candidate to take a hands-on approach in helping develop the current team and contribute to the future growth of the studio group across London, Glasgow and Bristol. This role is suited to someone looking for a longer term, growth position, with an opportunity to contribute to the Studio groups continual development and success.
The Head of Rigging will be expected to engage in basic line management tasks and will manage the performance and wellbeing of artists, as well as inputting on recruitment decisions when necessary.
The ideal candidate will have an excellent understanding of animation pipelines including pre-production, production and post-production. Prior supervisory experience along with the ability to contribute hands on is essential.
Candidates must be willing and able to work onsite in Glasgow, and we may be able to provide visa sponsorship for exceptional candidates.
● Helping Production to manage the information being sent to the client, making sure we’re offering to the client clearly defined issues and potential solutions, while also outlining any ramification if issues aren’t solved.
● Monitor the output of the department ensuring its suitable for Animation.
● Provide verbal/written brief to the riggers before the start of any task, outlining the possible challenges whilst considering the creative intentions required and the task deadline.
● Work alongside the Head of CG and the EP during the initial scoping of the project department budget, inputting on quality targets in respect to budget and any departmental scoping concerns.
● Working closely with RND Department to identify process/improvements/tools to increase department productivity.
● Work closely with the Art Director, CG Supervisor, and Departments Leads to take the most efficient creative decisions that guarantee the best output.
● Ability to document and present briefs and proposals to the rest of the team.
● Mentoring and coaching the members of the team on an individual and collective basis.
● Evaluate and improve existing rigs and rigging tools/pipeline.
● Work together with the Supervisor and other Rigging Leads to implement solutions adoptable by the whole department across multiple projects, assets, and platforms.
● Communicate with the Modelling team to ensure that models are suitable for rigging.
● Be aware of the budget and schedule impact of technical and creative solutions to meet delivery deadlines under production constraints. Skills Required
● Excellent written and verbal communication and management skills.
● Willing to be part of a team of different skill levels and contribute to the growth of others and to the achievement of common goals.
● Thorough understanding of weighting, skinning and be able to work interactively with modelers to resolve challenges.
● Excellent Python and GUI scripting and the ability to follow adopted coding standards.
● Understanding of Muscle, Cloth and Hair simulation is a plus.