Axis Studios Bristol are looking for a talented Senior Groom Artist onsite or remote for photorealistic creatures on upcoming high profile projects. This would suit a freelance or fixed term contract role starting in early 2022. Groom Artists/Technical Directors create hair, fur and/or feather grooms for characters and creatures in high end VFX projects.
- The creation of hair/fur/feather grooms for characters and creatures
- Working with with Creature FX simulation TDs developing strategies for dynamics, and the layout of guide hairs
- Creative problem solving with other departments involved in the creature workflow including Modelling, Rigging, Animation and Lighting.
- Rendering tests of the groom as it progresses & working with lookdev and lighting to develop AOV and Attribute strategies.
- Working with production to meet set schedules and deadlines while maintaining the highest standards.
- Positively and proactively communicating with Production and Leads regarding schedules and deadlines.
- Experience in a similar role on photorealistic CG creature projects.
- A thorough knowledge of Houdini, its fur tools and simulation processes.
- Excellent problem solving skills & a good eye for detail
- High level understanding of both the aesthetic and technical requirements of the role.
- A strong work ethic, and a willingness to be involved in both development and shot execution.
- The ability to work as part of a team in a challenging and deadline oriented environment including a good understanding of pipeline and workflow issues.
- Excellent organisation, communication and interpersonal skills, and the ability to liaise across departments
- Experience of working under a Unix/Linux systems environment
- Experience with dynamic hair simulation, or other forms of dynamics
Axis is committed to equal opportunities. Click here to find out more.